Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Just a question about the state of antivirus technology

From: Barbara Griffith <Barbara.Griffith () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:05:21 -0600

Thank you James and Omar. I love philosophical discussions! I'm aware that there are many areas where intelligent and
diligent people can have different opinions. I feel better now - the way it was presented to me where I am, it felt
like it was something obvious that I missed. Since I spend over an hour a day combing industry publications for just
this sort of news, I felt stupid. But now I feel reassured, and what has been said makes sense to me.

I was worried a lot about the advent of the zero day attack. I know that it takes only minutes for an unpatched and
unprotected machine to encounter something on the internet - I've seen that in my shop. Since so many vulnerabilities
require user cooperation (i.e. open attachment, or click on a url), I've concentrated heavily on user education, and
that has paid off big time.

We're rolling out a new antivirus product now, and I'm learning its interface. Looking back over the last two years, it
seems like we've all come so far. In some cases it's been a steep climb, but we now are so much better than we were.
Right now I'm trying to get my arms around the area of home network security - I support lots of telecommuters and
round-the-clock workers.

Barb