Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New Virus/Trojan/...?

From: "Wayne J. Hauber" <wjhauber () IASTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 09:58:06 -0500

At 08:22 AM 10/7/2004, Justin Azoff wrote:
On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 09:05, Jason Brooks wrote:
> Wayne,
>         Was the tftp server running from the Quicktimee.exe process or
> another one?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

It's not tftp, its just ftp. if you manage to download the file and scan
it, you will find that it is indeed sdbot or similar.

Actually, we found tftp listening on the standard tftp UDP port *and* an
ftp server running on a random port. We are trying to find a good method to
scan for these active tftp listeners to see if we can locate more of the
sick systems.

Wayne Hauber

--
-- Justin Azoff
-- Network Performance Analyst

Wayne Hauber (515) 294-9890
Network Information & Microcomputer Network Services
Office of Academic Information Technologies
109 Durham Center, ISU, Ames, Iowa 50011
wjhauber () iastate edu