Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking Dictionaries

From: Dan Updegrove <updegrove () MAIL UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:28:37 -0500

Tim and colleagues,

Since we don't know who's on this list, let me suggest that any responses
be sent directly to Tim, who could summarize and anonymize the results.

Thanks
Dan

At 12:25 PM 10/1/2004, Timothy Wright wrote:
What sort of password cracking dictionaries are folks on this list
using?  In particular, for ensuring the compliance of a candidate
password with complexity rules (e.g., with cracklib).  There are
certainly many sources for dictionaries - has anything been adopted as a
de facto base from which to evolve a dictionary or dictionaries for a
given institution?

Thanks,

-Tim

--

Timothy Wright, CISSP, CISA
Information Security

VP  for Information Technology          Phone (512) 232-9610
The University of Texas at Austin       Fax (512) 232-9607
FAC 248 (Mail code: G9800)              d.updegrove () its utexas edu
P.O. Box 7407                                   http://wnt.utexas.edu/~danu/
Austin, TX 78713-7407