Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Marketscore and Higher Ed

From: Mike Iglesias <iglesias () DRACO ACS UCI EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:07:43 -0800

Hi,

They can take issue all they like, they are still acting as a proxy between the users machine and the target system
.. be it a bank, medical records or our
University.  They are decoding everything the user types and processing it.  If I were a bad guy, I would have a job
application in at Marketscore right now.

I agree that they disclose all of the information about what they are doing, but I am know that someone like my
father will sign up for anything and he never
reads the EULA .. especially when it's over 6 pages long.

These are of course my opinions. (but we are one of the 2 universities mentioned by name in this article)

We blocked their IP address and setup our DNS servers to point any requests
for marketscore.com to a web server here that explains why we think it's
a bad idea to have that software on your computer and how to remove it.

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias () draco acs uci edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2069