Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft WINS issue

From: Jim Bollinger <JBollinger () WLU EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:23:47 -0500

Doug-

I read the article and it wasn't clear to me whether to block
destination port 42 or source port 42. I leaned toward destination port
and we've blocked that, but I thought I'd bounce back off you and the
list.

Thanks, Jim

Jim Bollinger
Systems and Network Engineer
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
540-458-8743

dodpears () INDIANA EDU 11/29/2004 9:37:19 AM >>>
drawing attention to:

"How to help protect against a WINS security issue

"We are investigating reports of a security issue with Microsoft
Windows Internet Name Service (WINS). This security issue affects
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server, Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Terminal Server Edition, Windows 2000 Server, and Windows Server 2003.
Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP and Windows Millennium Edition
(ME) are not affected by this vulnerability. Also, by default, WINS is
not installed on any versions of Microsoft Windows."

---

Doug Pearson
Research and Education Networking ISAC
24x7 Watch Desk: +1(317)278-6630, ren-isac () iu edu
http://www.ren-isac.net