Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: TCP port 0

From: Doug Pearson <dodpears () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:41:50 -0500

At 10:05 AM 11/24/2004 -0600, John Kristoff wrote:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:21:37 -0500
Bernie Timberman <BTIMBERMAN () DEPAUW EDU> wrote:

We have been seeing a lot of traffic lately on tcp port 0. Anyone else
seeing traffic on that port and is anyone blockong that port?

Depending on how you are 'seeing' the traffic, much of it may only be
fragments of a larger TCP packet using ports not know to that fragment.
Data retrieved via network flows (e.g. Netflow) is typically reported
this way.

I do not know of any legitimate use of TCP port 0, but port 0 is widely
used in UDP-based applications.  Particularly the source port for things
like streaming media.  UDP source port 0 is specifically legitimate per
RFC 768 so be careful what you filter.

I ran a quick check of a darknet, and saw 12 hits on TCP/0 out of 9.17 million total hits, and those TCP/0 hits
appeared to be backscatter from source-spoofed DOS activity rather than true scans at TCP/0.

Scanning TCP/0 can be used to fingerprint systems[1].

I'd be interested in off-list detail about the observations.

Doug Pearson
Research and Education Networking ISAC
24x7 Watch Desk: +1(317)278-6630, ren-isac () iu edu
http://www.ren-isac.net

[1] http://www.networkpenetration.com/port0.html

-o0o-