Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Understanding the security implications of SAKAI?

From: James Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:48:18 -0400

First, I have to admit a lot of ignorance.  I had not heard about SAKAI
until yesterday.  So we are coming from square one.

I have tried to understand the true risks of collaboration and learning
systems, and have been largely unsuccessful.  I know some of the technology
risks, like inability to integrate with virus scanners, inconsistant
security with class and gradebook access, even stalking through overzealous
reporting on where the others are in the learning environment.

I also wondered if the paper mills would ever evolve into a service of "Let
me get you through freshman composition - online." or other required
courses.

I wondered if someone could help me understand the true risks involved.

Also, can I have a level of comfort that of the universities involved in the
SAKAI project, that they are providing security review.

Thanks,

Jim

- - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Information Security Officer
Rochester Institute of Technology
13 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
Office: 585-475-5406
Lab: 585-475-4122
Fax: 585-475-7950

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

"The release of new internet threats have not created a new problem. It has
merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one." Parallels
quote by Albert Einstein on atomic energy