Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Infected Bot machines

From: "Lutzen, Karl F." <kfl () UMR EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:34:16 -0500

We've had a nice outbreak of Sdbot which came in with the returning
students. We had a couple of different versions and similarly, we had
difficulties with AV software removing it. We had to first locate a
sample and then submit it to the AV vendor to get a special definition
data file. Once we had that, the original infection files could be
removed. If the cleaning files would not work for a particular case,
we'd submit a new sample and get a new data file. Quite time consuming!

The suggestion to flatten and rebuild is the best as the AV software
will only remove the initial infection, but cannot be relied on to
restore the system to a 100% clean state. The bots have a wonderful
habit of downloading additional software to the system, providing
additional backdoors or servers. If compromised by a bot of any flavor,
the best action is to rebuild the system.

Karl Lutzen
Systems Security Analyst
UMR IT Information Systems Security
kfl () umr edu