Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: What should be done with old RAID 5 sets?

From: Andy Weisskopf <amw () IASTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:40:22 CDT

Overwrite them.  Just because you can't reconstruct the RAID doesnt
mean you can't get data off them.

--andy

Clyde Hoadley writes:
We run a disk shredder program against
ordinary disk drives before we reuse them
or dispose of them.

We have some old RAID 5 sets from a Tru64
system that we need to send to State Surplus.
What should we do about the those drives first?

I suggested pulling two drives out of each set
and holding those back for a month and sending
the rest in.

--
Clyde Hoadley, CISSP
Security & Disaster Recovery Coordinator