Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password Cracking & Consequences

From: Scott Weeks <sweeks () SANDIEGO EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:10:20 -0700

scott

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Sweeny, Jonny wrote:

:  Do IT departments commonly try to crack their users' passwords?
:
:  That's surprising/scary news to me...

It shouldn't be scary.  You want to do it before the hackers do it and
believe me they are.  In another place, we ran lc4
(http://www.atstake.com/products/lc/) against a domain controller with 500
accounts and had over 250 in one minute and four seconds!  20 of the
passwords were "password" and another 10-15 were "welcome"!  Users like
these need a LART...  >:-)

scott

:
:  ~Jonny