Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

mailinglist etiquette Re: WSJ.com - Stop the Music!

From: Scott Weeks <sweeks () SANDIEGO EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:39:20 -0700

:  I think it's sort of nice that WSJ and a few others allow you to
: e-mail links to their articles, in the WSJ normally available only to
: subscribers in some cases.
:
:  Does the list prefer not to have this information? A link is certainly
: a lot easier to send, and receive than doing a cut and paste.  My thanks
: to Mark for taking time to retrieve the article and copy a portion to
: the list. The entire article was fairly long and gave info from UNLV,
: Columbia, GWU and USC as well as UFL. I'm happy to go with the list
: preference on the matter.

Hello Everyone,

I didn't mean to single him out, rather I used his HTML-formatted email as
the example.  Many folks are doing it and it is very hard to read, as you
can see from my original email.  I want to read all responses as this list
puts out very valuable inforamtion.  My public apologies to Mark if it was
percieved in another way.

Non-GUI email reader folks can't "click here" and I believe the comment:

     As for the embedded "click here" links, not to put too fine a point
     on it, but, even with mail coming from such an august group, anyone
     who blindly clicks a link is running some risk.

meant for the folks who use GUI email readers and who blindly "click
here".  Knowing members of our EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group and
seeing the included URL will allow us to chose more wisely when to click
or not click.

Thanks,
scott