Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Group Policy Object recommendations - newly migrating to AD

From: Todd Gunter <guntet () SAGE EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:58:06 -0400

We are currently in the process of migrating to Windows 2003 w/Active Directory and are looking for some basic guidance
or suggestions for group policies.

Our students PCs in the residence halls are not part of the domain.  We are only concentrating on faculty/employee work
PCs as well as our lab PCs.  Students, Faculty, and employees are members of the domain.

1.  Any suggestions on some basic GPOs to use?
2.  How restrictive/unrestrictive are you with the work PCs?
3.  How has that worked or not worked for you (regarding question #2)?
4.  Do you use GPO to deploy software, updates, patches?
5.  What are your basic procedures for that?  (Certain nights of the week (PCs left on), during logon, etc.)

In the higher ed environment things like this run hot and cold.  Not much middle ground.  We were just wondering how
other institutions tackled these issues surrounding GPOs.

I thank you for your advise in advance,
Todd :)>

-----------------------------
Todd Gunter
Director, Management Information Systems
Information Technologies Project Manager
45 Ferry St
Troy, NY 12180
guntet () sage edu (work email)
518-857-6754 (cell)
518-244-2088 (office)
518-244-2460 (fax)
~~~ "If you focus on quality today, it will, in the long term, pay benefits" ~~~