Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

smtp auth (was Re: the importance of security)

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:35:25 -0500

I'm unfamiliar with smtp auth.  Does this mean that when the user tries to
send an email message that they are required to authenticate, and can only
send messages with a "from" address of that username to which they just
authenticated?  If so, this could make email a fairly secure
intra-university means of communication, correct?  Does anyone have a link
to beginner's background reading on this?