Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: the importance of security

From: Mike Iglesias <iglesias () DRACO ACS UCI EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:22:11 -0700

Wow, I'm surprised to see smtp auth being required on more than a handful
of campuses, given the poor client support (especially in embedded
devices). Hopefully the added usage will help get the client issues ironed
out soon.

We're requiring smtp auth from the campus dorm networks.  We had
several incidents last school year where a student's dorm system was
turned into a spam relay that then relayed the email thru our campus
email servers, which filled them up with lots of email and delayed
delivery of regular email by a few hours.

Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias () draco acs uci edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services  FAX:         949-824-2069