Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: libpng vulnerabilities - US-CERT Technical Cyber Security Alert TA04-217A

From: Eric Pancer <epancer () SECURITY DEPAUL EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:20:31 -0500

Mary Ann Blair wrote on Fri, 2004-08-06 at 12:18:34 -0400...

How are your institutions responding to the announced vulnerability in
libpng?  While there are no known exploits at this time neither are there
patches

There's patches for libpng; you can relink your software against
that if it's critical.

for much of the affected software. There's enough concern on my
campus that there's talk of dropping vulnerable software from some
platforms.

That seems like a fairly reactive response. If we dropped vulnerable
software from all hosts that didn't have a publicly published
exploit, we probably wouldn't be running many machines or
applications.

--
Eric Pancer :.: Computer Security Response Team :.: DePaul University
http://security.depaul.edu/ .:`:.:':.:`:. epancer () security depaul edu