Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Help with buying domain name through escrow.com

From: Dennis Vich <dvich () ACELATECHNOLOGIES COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:12:56 -0400

Tim,

You are smart to be cautious. You can confirm the legal ownership of any
domain name by checking it out on the website of Network Solutions. As
you may know they were once the only domain name registrant.

As owner of a domain name, you are required to register not only the
name but more specific contact information as part of the registration.
I own a couple domain names myself. On the Network Solutions website
you'll see a couple of tools that will allow you to look up the owner of
any domain name.

Switching ownership of a domain name requires that the owner prove
he/she owns it and formally releases the name to another party. The
transaction must be initiated by the owner through Network Solutions or
whoever the domain name is registered with. A third party cannot execute
a transfer or sale of a domain name.

Hope this helps. Good luck