Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [unisog] Incident Response Procedures

From: Bob Mahoney <bobmah () MIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:22:22 -0400

Jason-

A colleague and I presented a paper at the June FIRST conference,
"Incident Response and Large Event Handling in the Research
University"   While it does not describe the current structure of
security response at MIT, some of the topics raised might be of
interest, as you discuss your own approaches.  You can get a copy at:

http://www.zanshinsecurity.com/University-IR-Large-Events-FIRST-2004.pdf

We began the paper back when I was still leading MIT's team.  (Please
note that I no longer speak for the Institute in security matters.)

I'd also suggest getting a copy of two great books:

 "The CERT Guide to System and network Security Practices" (Addison
Wesley) by Julia Allen (who modestly did not mention it directly
:-), and

"Incident Response Planning and Management" (O'Reilly) by Kenneth van
Wyk & Richard Forno

Both *well* worth the time...

-Bob