Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

kraes.dll

From: Edward Chase <echase () STUDENTWEB PROVIDENCE EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:33:04 -0400

I'm looking for information on a file named:

c:\windows\kraes.dll

I've run across a machine that's got some internet weirdness going on.  It's
been virused checked, it been run through Ad-adware and Spybot.  It's been
Windows updated and it's been firewalled.  All have been done AFTER the
weirdness started.

The machine keeps wanting to set it's homepage to res://kraes.dll/index.html
(followed by ? and some number which I forget)

I did find the file above and manually deleted it, yet it somehow came back.

The machine is Windows XP Home.

I can't find anything via Google.

Anybody heard of this?

--