Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: mynetwatchman participation

From: Jack Suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:14:29 -0400

We have been receiving these reports pretty regularly the last month. At
first we were treating them as reliable reports (all reports were for
resnet machines) and were passing the notification on to the student to
get their machine cleaned. In a few instances when we investigated we did
not find what was reported. I had my security person contact the company
to talk to them about how they arrive at this. What we found is this is a
very small company and from the discussion my security office didn't want
to take their notification as definitive. Bottom line for us was too many
false positives.

Others may have had better luck.

jack suess