Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: URGENT: bot net with keylogger

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:06:59 -0400

Dave Monnier, IT Security Office, Indiana University wrote:

I haven't looked at it with anything Win32.

The content there will hopefully be going away soon.  I've just heard
that some folks have gotten word back from the owners.  If you haven't
already, you may want to grab a specimen now for study. If not, folks
can contact me off-list and I can get a copy to you.

Got it. It doesn't force a download/install on
IE 6.0. So I guess people must be clicking the
button that should read "infect me". :)

I've run across a couple sites that check the
browser before redirecting to an IE exploit
page. If you hit it with Mozilla or wget, you'll
not see the malicious content. I keep a laptop
with IE for doing stuff like that but it was down
until just a little while ago.

I assume you've submitted the code to AV vendors?

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services