Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewalls

From: Kay Sommers <ksommers () VCU EDU>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:30:46 -0400

Symantec hasn't been much help.   We discovered SCS wasn't getting the
secuirty patches when there was a personal firewall security alert
several weeks ago.  Symantec said that it was their design not to have
SCS get the updates since the patches could break large numbers of
computers when pushed out from the admin console.  This seems backwards
since the consumer version does get the patches, but of course can't be
managed centrally.

We are still struggling with how to distribute SCS to thousands of users
and are now looking into the possibility of using ZEN Patch Management
to take care of delivering all the patches.

James Van Meter wrote:

We have purchased SCS as well; however, have not yet began to deploy it.
Has Symantec assisted at all with a resolution on the liveupdate issue?

James Van Meter
Security Administration
Medical College of Georgia
706.721.3487

James Van Meter
Security Administration
Medical College of Georgia
jvanmete () mcg edu
706-721-3487

ksommers () VCU EDU 06/25/04 4:18 PM >>>

We have a site license that includes SCS, but we are having problems
deploying it.   We would like to deploy it as "managed" so that users
get the FW, intrusion detection and A/V updates automatically.
However, we've found that only the A/V signature files get updated and
even if we distributed it "unmanaged" which means we would have to
depend on the users using the LiveUpdate option, security patches are
not included.  To get the security patches for SCS, the user would have
to download a patch separately.
Does anybody have a solution to these problems?

Lucas, Bryan wrote:

We've considered the SCS from Symantec, but honestly I think we're
waiting for SP2 from XP which will be free rather than buying some
package.  From what I've read it will be manageable via Group Policy

and

free, did I mention that ;)

Bryan Lucas
Lead Server Administrator