Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

UofRMachineCheck 1.0.0.1 DLL available - checks for AV, sets Aut oUpdates on + source + GPL

From: "Faigle, Chris" <cfaigle () RICHMOND EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:55:08 -0400

All,

        Hi.  We are, as you probably are, getting ready for back to school
here at the University of Richmond.

        Our students are not on our domain, and we have no log-in
capabilities on their Windows machines.

        During the registration process we want to be able to determine if
they have Symantec Anti-Virus (our mandatory standard here), and if so what
their definition dates are.

        We also want to turn on their Automatic Updates and do this by
Policy so that it cannot be turned off in the control panel.

        I have developed a COM DLL that performs these, created the .cab
file and a test web-page.  The code was developed with Visual Studio 6 /
Visual C++, with Service Pack 6.

        The test page demonstrates how to instantiate the control, provides
buttons to test each of the three functions and has some helper functions to
deal with the output from the control.  Full integration in your
registration process should be relatively easy.

        This is freely available with full source under GPL at:
http://is.richmond.edu/techsupport/security/Downloads.htm

        The test page is available at:
http://www.richmond.edu/~cfaigle/UofRMachineCheck/TestMachineCheck.htm

        NOTE! The two buttons: SetAUOn and SetAUPolicyOn are going to make
registry changes on your machine!  You can reset the first via the control
panel.  You must delete the key:
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\AU to regain control panel
access if you click the second button.  Also, these changes affect Automatic
Updates only after reboot.

        The dll can be easily modified to return other information; if you
make your own version, I ask that you please modify all the GUIDs as these
will always be used for our release.

        If you find any issues, would you please let me know - I have yet to
perform all the testing that I would like and I was hoping that other
institutions might be able to lend a hand here.

        I hope that you find this helpful.

Best,
Chris Faigle
IS Security