Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Seeking RFP text for server and messaging cert mgmt services

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 05:53:02 -0500

It's not so much that those entities are necessarily more trustworthy
than ND, it's that anyone can author a cert that claims to be 'ND'.

Only the ones which also participate in the established chain of trust
will avoid the browser's "are you sure this is who they claim to be?"
question.  That's a question many end users aren't (yet) prepared to
answer with any certainty.

If it were commonplace for end users to traceback a cert's path, and
also that they all knew that CREN/Educause was a legitimate root
authority, and how to verify same, then we'd be ok.  The built-in root
list does that for them already, and to leverage it we have to pay one
of them to sign a cert for us.  Otherwise, users have nothing to base
trust on other than to accept the cert's own claim for its legitimacy.

ABA, Autoridad, etc have gone to the trouble of paying MS and others
the "tax" (a bit more than I can scrape together) that lets them
preload their CA into browsers distributed to mass-audiences,
specifically so users can have a moderate level of confidence that an
unchallenged cert is likely to be what it says it is (if they
doubleclick the lock icon on their browser, and it says eBay, and
they're surfing eBay, then it's probabably eBay, as long as the
browser doesn't ask them that question above).

I must admit, I'm not a CA/PKI expert by ANY means, and so may have
the above entirely wrong, or be overlooking some aspect (see, not a
PKI expert).  Addressing the challenge of users who want to be more
secure -- but who also need the security mechanisms and environment to
be as accessible as possible -- is something PKI (as a class) doesn't
yet seem to have solved.  Until then, we pay for certs....

Jere Retzer wrote:

Good points, but why would you want a user to trust ABA, Autoridad,
Baltimore, Belgicom (he asks just reading down the list of root CAs that
comes with IE) more than Notre Dame? The idea that we should ask our
users to trust some company no one has heard of more than their
university seems a bit upside down, doesn't it? And how good are the
controls over what gets into the browser anyway?

dobbins () ND EDU 6/15/2004 6:05:32 PM >>>

As we work to raise user awareness of security, one of the guidelines
commonly given is to not accept certs that the browser doesn't already
trust.  That's a coarse-grained advice, for sure, but training them to
at least be suspicious is a starting point.  So, conveying how and
when to differentiate between root-signed and "self-signed" certs is a
challenge for non-technical users - they want one rule for every case.

That, and sometimes it's not clear to all end-users how to import a
new root into, say, Thunderbird mail.  So, they either get angry, or
we dilute the "don't accept questionable certs" training.

Maybe someday, when the PK mechanism is better understood by the
end-user populace....

Jere Retzer wrote:

True, but is not appearing in the Microsoft-distributed list a

barrier?

Most folks are pretty casual about accepting certificates. If you

can't

trust ND, then who can you trust (except in football, of course)?

dobbins () ND EDU 6/15/2004 11:01:03 AM >>>

Certainly attractive, especially for internal e-mail signing, but

last

I'd heard the EduCause CA does not yet appear in the trusted root
store of commodity browsers. (?)

Many of our SSL users will not be ND affiliates, so we'd be

reluctant

(or unable) to insert the root CA into their cert store.

Jere Retzer wrote:

Does anyone roll their own root certificate as suggested in the

Educause

best practices guide? This sounds like it might be the way to go.

See

http://www.educause.edu/security/guide/EncryptionandAuthentication.asp

mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA 6/15/2004 7:36:50 AM >>>

Our cert needs started out similarly - SSL certs for administrative
websites. The central
IT group purchased Verisign certs up front and were provided with

web

management
capability to verify the requestor and handle internal chargeback. I
believe the cost of
the certs discouraged most academic departments from offering https

and

so growth in their
use was low. This past year after some investigation we moved to

Comodo

mainly because the
server cert prices are much lower and now there is more interest in
implementing https.
The reasons for the big price difference seem to be nebulous - my

guess

is they have to do
with maturity in the CA business as well as the chained cert
technology.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Manager - Computer Security Administration
Computing and Networking Services
University of Toronto