Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Experiences with automaticWindows Updates

From: "Hahn, Jacob" <jhahn () MONTANA EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:18:48 -0600

We have deployed a solution that uses a Software Update Services (SUS) to
help in the approval of patches before releasing them to our computing
environment. This SUS server is then tied to a group policy that has all the
clients polling the server nightly for update. The testing of patches on our
core university applications, prior to release to the campus, helps reassure
management that the patches are safe for our environment.

"Sometimes it will work fine, but often it will fail to download the
updates, or download them but not install them"
This may be related to BITSadmin (Background Intelligent Transfer Service),
the mechanism for allowing trickle downloads instead of all at once. This is
true when you use a SUS server, but you may wish to check and see if
BITSadmin is running as a service. Stopping it may improve your chances of
getting updates daily.

As an aside, BITSadmin can defer your updating process to the next day if it
fails multiple times, for example the server or the network may be busy.

Jacob Hahn
Montana State University Bozeman, MT
Information Technology Center
Windows Systems Admin