Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

nastier Sasser on the way?

From: Doug Pearson <dodpears () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 06:36:40 -0500

Thought this item/warning was worth sharing...
-dp

May 06, Reuters — Security experts warn of nastier Sasser worm. Computer security experts warned Wednesday, May 5, that
the Sasser worm could merge with earlier viruslike programs to wreak more havoc on the Internet. Since appearing over
the weekend, the fast-moving Sasser computer worm has hit PC users around the world who run the ubiquitous Microsoft
Windows 2000, NT and XP operating systems. It is expected to slow down as computer users download antivirus patches.
But Sasser could mutate by combining with the 2-month-old Netsky worm and become a launching pad for further Web
attacks, putting it on par with Blaster, the destructive worm that appeared last year and used infected computers to
attack Microsoft Corp.'s Web site. "My expectation is that Netsky and Sasser variants will merge and become what we
call one 'abundant threat' that attacks through e-mail and software vulnerabilities," said Jimmy Kuo, a research fellow
at Network Associates Inc.'s McAfee antivirus unit.
Source: http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/virus/story/0,10801,92936,00.html

--

Doug Pearson; Indiana University; dodpears () indiana edu
Phone: 812-855-3846; ViDeNet: 0018128553846