Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: spoofed addresses?

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:50:56 -0400

Barros, Jacob wrote:

Please tell me I'm not the only oneā€¦  We're getting a LOT of NDR's and
blocked message receipts from different hosts and all sorts of weird
things.  Typically they are messages carrying viruses circulating with
our email addresses in the 'from' field.  See (scrubbed) message threads
below.

Hi Jacob,

This happens with every new wave of worms. We've got
information up on our web site because people get
concerned about it so often:

http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/index.shtml#msg

I'm fairly comfortable telling our people that its
not likely coming from them because we block port 25,
forcing mail through official mail servers and scan
virus logs on those for infected systems in our address
space. Of course, if its a new one that our AV doesn't
detect, some may leak out.

Gary Flynn
Security Engineer
James Madison University