Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: "Stealth" Agobot/Gaobot?

From: Brian Eckman <eckman () UMN EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:06:40 -0500

Jeff Kell wrote:
Twice today I have seen indications of Agobot infections.  As has been
my usual procedure, I nmap the beast, try nbtscan for NetBIOS info, then
shut down the port.  But nmap indicates nothing other than 135/139/1025
and the scanning stops.

Is this a new "stealth bot" that shuts down or sleeps for awhile if it
detects a scan?

I had a variant today that showed up in an nMap. I telnetted to it and
it threw its stream of garbage at me. I then went to netcat it and the
port was closed. It's only happened this one time, and I have no good
explanation for it. However that may not be related to what you are
reporting.

I guess it would help to know what your indications were. Something else
could be acting like it as well. I also seem to remember Agobot variants
only opening up their high numbered ports after finding its first
victim. If you notice one too quickly after initial infection, it may
not have opened the ports yet.

Brian
--
Brian Eckman