Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Return On Security Investment (ROSI)

From: Melissa Guenther <mguenther () COX NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:38:10 -0700

From CAI/FBI survey
The financial impact of computer security breaches has been quantified by
several sources.  The best estimate of the impact of security breaches on a
single organization can be found in the CSI-FBI survey of over 600
organizations.  They concluded that the average cost impact of security
breaches on each organization is over $972,000 per year.
This, however, does not include the intangible losses:
Many of these intangibles are related to a “loss of competitive advantage”
that results from the breach.  For example, a breach can affect an
organization’s competitive edge through:
§         Customers’ loss of trust in the organization
§         Failure to win new accounts due to bad press associated with the
breach
§         Competitor’s access to confidential or proprietary information.