Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Student IDs, Card Readers on Vending Machies, etc

From: Jim Moore <jhmfa () RIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:13:36 -0500

I am looking to see what is the "state of the art", and what is on other
people's radar screens.  I would like to go to a smartcard or USB token,
so that it can hold the campus credentials, getting away from password
files, and passwords going over the net.  I also like the ability of a
smartcard to be something that people take with them.  However, we have
a whole lot of card swipe solutions on campus.  I know that I can lay a
mag stripe on a smartcard, and laminate on the photo.  That seems to be
a good interim solution.  But I want to look a few years out.

What do people have?

Jim