Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Cyber Security Day - April 4th

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:07:22 -0700

The EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Computer and Network Security Task Force will be
encouraging campuses to hold awareness and educational activities in
conjunction with Cyber Security Day.  Although the "day" selected by the
National Cyber Security Alliance (www.staysafeonline.org) is a "Sunday"
that coincides with daylight savings time, we are encouraging
institutions to hold their events the week prior (March 29th - April
2nd) or throughout the entire month of April.  We recognize that the
collective observance of a national event devoted to cyber security
(just 3 weeks away!) is a new undertaking for higher education;
therefore, we are expecting modest success in our first effort.
However, we would like to build momentum and get a jump on the next
Cyber Security Day in the Fall - October 31st.

Please let us know if your institution is planning any events in
conjunction with Cyber Security Day.  So far, the only example that I am
aware of is Rutgers University - see
http://rusecure.rutgers.edu/cybersecurityday/  The Education and
Awareness Working Group of the Security Task Force will be collecting
and disseminating more information in the next few days.  We would also
welcome information about other campus security awareness "events"
(e.g., cyber security days, weeks, months, conferences, etc.) that you
have planned for the Spring or Fall and would encourage you to consider
scheduling and promoting them as part of the Cyber Security Day efforts.

Please let me know if you have any questions or other comments.

Best Regards,

Rodney Petersen
Security Task Force Coordinator, EDUCAUSE