Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: use Nmap to find W32/Bagle.e@MM ?

From: Herrera Reyna Omar <omar_herrera () BANXICO ORG MX>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:07:37 -0600

Saludos,
Omar Herrera

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Jeff Kell [mailto:jeff-kell () UTC EDU]
Enviado el: MiƩrcoles, 03 de Marzo de 2004 01:00 PM
Para: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Asunto: Re: [SECURITY] use Nmap to find W32/Bagle.e@MM ?

Scott Weeks wrote:

Is this a suffucient method to find the W32/Bagle.e@MM infected machines?

   [root@localhost root]# nmap -P0 -p 2745 111.222.111.0/24

I see too many of these to believe as many machines as I've found are all
infected.  At least I HOPE so...

   Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
   Interesting ports on  (111.222.111.222):
   Port       State       Service
   2745/tcp   filtered    unknown

They all say "filtered" on this port.  That's what's throwing me off...

"Filtered" means the machine is up but a SYN is silently discarded with
no resulting ACK or ICMP unreachable.  The backdoor may have a "secret
handshake" to get it to do anything.

Or, more precisely, something blocked the response, but you have no clear indication of whether the port is open or
not. The corresponding RFC states that a machine will respond with SYN+ACK to SYN petitions if the port is open, and
should respond with an RST if it is closed.

Filtered means that no response was received (might be firewalled) but still, this doesn't mean it is closed or open.

Regards,

Omar Herrera