Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: scanning on port 901

From: Daniel Medina <medina () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:29:22 -0500

 Here's a tidbit: two hosts are scanning for 901/tcp from our network.
Both are connected via 6667/tcp (IRC) to wod28904RN.rh.ncsu.edu
(152.7.50.249).  Checking the traffic that host is seeing will likely
turn up a lot of the sources for the scanning being seen; it's a C&C
node for a botnet that hasn't been taken offline yet.

 CCing abuse () ncsu edu again... (previously 152.7.51.130 and
152.7.8.227).