Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New Email Virus

From: "Crawford, Charles D" <ccrawf () KU EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:20:07 -0600

Looks like mimail.c virus.

We are seeing this as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Bradner [mailto:sob () HARVARD EDU]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 1:15 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] New Email Virus

I've received about 10 such letters myself

Scott

-------
Since this morning, we are seeing a new e-mail virus that does not
appear to be detectible by current Norton or McAfee virus definitions.
So far, the attachment received has always been named "photos.zip" with
subject "our private photos".  We are now filtering email on this
basis.  Has anyone else seen this?