Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: CW 10/20: Internet Software Consortium opens global Internet crisis coordination center -- Operations, Analysis and Research Center (OARC

From: Gerry Sneeringer <sneeri () UMD EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:23:32 -0400

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, H. Morrow Long wrote:

[This appears to be setup primarily to protect the global root
DNS servers from attack - Morrow]

[http://www.computerworld.com/printthis/2003/0,4814,86271,00.html]
  You may retrieve this story by entering QuickLink# 42247

Just as important, this creates a communications vehicle to permit
us to communicate the anomolies that we observe on the Roots in a
timely manner beyond the root server community (a big concern of
the feds in the wake of last year's attack).  In addition to
direct attacks, at times we also see blips in DNS traffic that can
be attributed to distributed denial of service attacks against
other sites.

-Gerry

---
Gerry Sneeringer, CISSP
IT Security Officer (and operator of d.root-servers.net)
University of Maryland
Office of Information Technology