Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Monitoring traffic/protecting student accessible machines

From: Charles Bombard <bombardc () CCV EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:29:28 -0400

I have two questions:
1)
What do you use to monitor traffic? I am looking for actual packet
sniffing. Example of what I am looking for, we have a complaint of a
student viewing material they should not be on a lab machine. The IT staff
are at another location but can remotely monitor the network.. I want to
know what sites the person is going to. They are using their own machine
but our network. I have MAC address and IP. What do you recommend?

2)
What do you do to protect your lab machines from your students? Do you use
deepfreeze or a similar product? How do you like the solution that you are
using?

-Charlie Bombard
LAN Systems Administrator
Community College of Vermont