Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

automatic updates

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:50:17 -0500

I've been setting up automatic updates on our Windows computers here, and
have gotten several complaints from users saying that they cannot use the
computer.  Immediately after logging in, they get this message:

"The previous installation of an application has not been completed.  Logon
with an Administrator account to complete the installation."

It then logs them out.  I'm guessing that this does not cause a problem on
every computer (because we haven't gotten complaints from everyone), but
enough now that it is troublesome.  Has anyone else gotten past this?

Kevin Shalla
Associate Director of Information and Technical Services
Office of Admissions and Records
University of Illinois at Chicago
(312) 996-1231
kshalla () uic edu