Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question re: inbound executable files

From: Dewitt Latimer <dewitt () ND EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:58:11 -0500

At Notre Dame, we do not block or delete potentially harmful attachments,
but we do rename them so they are rendered benign.  The attachment is
renamed to .xxx_unknown, where xxx is the original extension.
(trojanhorse.exe becomes trojanhorse.exe_unknown)

We then append to the original e-mail message body that the attachment was
renamed, why it was renamed, and only to rename it back if they are 100%
sure that the payload is harmless.

We rename the following extensions:

ade adp app asd asf asx bas bat chm cmd com cpl crt dll exe fxp hlp hta hto
inf
ini ins isp jse* lib lnk mdb mde msc msi msp mst ocx pcd pif prg reg scr sct
sh
shb shs sys url vb vbe vbs vcs vxd wmd wms wmz wsc wsf wsh

-d

Dewitt Latimer, Ph.D.
Deputy CIO and Chief Technology Officer
The University of Notre Dame