Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

NCSS EWTF

From: Doug Pearson <dodpears () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:56:49 -0500

Dear all,

Attached are:

- notes of the December 3rd Summit Early Warning Task Force sessions, and

- the REN-ISAC one-page response to "implementable action for improvement" requested of each EWTF member.

At the EWTF phone conference, Wednesday 12/17, we narrowed in on three actions:

(1) 24x7 call lists to deep security contacts, organized by sector, with an inter-sector  list possibly maintained by
US-CERT.

(2) Automated data collection and analysis capabilities. This is recognized as a complex topic that will need much
exploration. Possibly begin as an inventory of what's currently being done, and better communication across
organizations that are doing it.

(3) An operations center, staffed by rotations of experts from the sectors. The ops center would perform analysis,
etc., and particularly be prepared to act in emergencies.

That's the very short story, I'll get more on this out over the next few days.

Regards,
-dp

--

Doug Pearson; Indiana University; dodpears () indiana edu
Phone: 812-855-3846; ViDeNet: 0018128553846