Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Caution: Google filtering spam evidence from returned results

From: Joe St Sauver <JOE () OREGON UOREGON EDU>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:30:08 -0800

Hi,

If, like many of us, you use Google to investigate potential
online miscreants, you should be aware that Google is now
employing Bayesian techniques to filter spammy-looking folks
from their results.

The net impact of this is that a domain may appear LESS spammy
than reality because Google has filtered spam-related stuff
pertaining to them. Ironically, of course, the more spammy a
domain may happen to be, the more likely they are to have
evidence of their misbehavior "sanitized." :-(

Thus, if you hear, as I have, "Well, what do you mean this guy
is a spammer? I just checked Google and I don't see complaints
about him at all..."

Yeah. Well.

That very well may be BECAUSE he's a spammer, and all stuff
related to him/his domain has all been filtered.

See: http://www.isedb.com/news/index.php?t=reviews&id=578
     http://sethf.com/anticensorware/general/google-spam.php

I'm hoping that Google will offer an un-spam-filtered view as
well as a default spam-filtered view, much as they offer a
kiddie-safe view and an unfiltered view. If they don't, their
utility as a research tool in the fight against spam and
related system and network compromises has really been reduced.

Regards,

Joe