Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Unknown ICMP traffic

From: Pete Hoffswell <Pete.Hoffswell () DAVENPORT EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:01:46 -0500

We don't do anything in particular for this, but have not identified it as an issue either.

I would suggest blocking outbound traffic with a destination of 207.26.131.137.  That way, you can conserve your
Internet bandwith.

Good luck!

Pete Hoffswell                                            616-732-1101 (Grand Rapids, x1101)
University LAN/WAN Coordinator                 616-395-4679 (Holland, x4679)
IT Services                                                 616-510-1198 (Mobile)
Davenport University                                   pete.hoffswell () davenport edu

http://www.davenport.edu                         http://www.davenport.edu/du/facultyandstaff/itservices/lanwan

 -=-=-  Check out DU WiFi services - http://www.davenport.edu/du/currentstudents/wifi -=-=-

jkbarros () GRACE EDU 11/26/03 08:27AM >>>

Thanks for the info Pete and Brian.

Do either of you, or anyone else, require students to disable the service or apply the referenced patch?  I haven't
been monitoring long enough to know but is this really that big a deal? Is 20MB per hour a number that we can
anticipate being a small campus (900 connections, 1300 users)?  Any comments would be helpful.

I apologize if this is a repeat thread.  I haven't been on the list for very long.

Jake Barros