Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Researching Automated solution For Identifying Infected Machines

From: Michael Halm <Michael.Halm () CCMAIL NEVADA EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:20:20 -0800

We did. We had trouble with Welchia on the Resnet backbone. So we set up
an ACL to redirect outgoing HTTP requests through a Linux box. That box
ran a Nessus scan every half hour for the RPCSS vulnerability. The outcome
was dumped to a text file. The source address of every outgoing  port 80
request was checked against the list. If there was a match, the request
was re-routed to our own web page containing instructions for applying the
patch and a link to download it. No outgoing port 80 requests would be
allowed until the machine was patched. This got all but a half dozen to
patch. We left the system in place for over a month to catch new pc's that
were being introduced to the resnet backbone. After that, we needed the
box back for other purposes, so we reverted to manual scans of that
network.

Michael Halm, CISSP
Network Operations Center
University of Nevada Las Vegas
4505 Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas Nv  89154
702-895-0726

saras anu <saras_anu () YAHOO COM>
Sent by: The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
11/10/2003 09:58 AM
Please respond to The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv