Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DHS --> Updated MS Advisory

From: "Barros, Jacob" <jkbarros () GRACE EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:01:44 -0500

Thanks for your detailed response.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Omar Herrera [mailto:omar_herrera () BANXICO ORG MX]
        Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 1:04 PM
        To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
        Subject: Re: [SECURITY] DHS --> Updated MS Advisory

        Blocking these ports on the perimeter of your network is necessary, we have done so as well without any
repercussions.

        The problem with this vulnerability, however, is on the internal side of the network. Most of our students have
laptops of their own, and it is not likely that all of them will patch them (hopefully many of them will).

        Suggesting students and professors to patch their own machines while we patch the servers is the best solution
I can think of, because if a worm appears on the internet, several personal computers will be infected. The attack is
not targeted at servers but rather at almost any windows machine, and personal computers will most likely be the ones
getting infected.

        Dangerous scenario if a well programmed worm appears would be:

        a)       students with unpatched machines connect to the internet from their homes and get infected

        b)       the students then come to the university and they eventually connect to the internal network

        c)       many other unpatched machines connected to the internal network get infected

        We just can't block these ports internally on all switches and routers because many MS windows applications
rely on them, including file sharing over the network  (if I remember correctly).

        In conclusion, my recommendations would be:

        a)       block these ports on your perimeter firewall (this shouldn't affect OWA)

        b)       patch your systems (make all proper tests before applying to critical servers)

        c)       promote the patch among your community (post patch on your intranet and send warnings through printed
publications on your campus)

        Omar Herrera, CISSP

        Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey,

        Mexico City Campus

        Information security topic and laboratory