Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Orderly Shut Down

From: Brian Kaye <bdk () UNB CA>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:34:42 -0300

There exists software for most servers that enables them to shutdown based
on some external signal. The most common one is based on a signal from a
UPS. Given that your servers would respond to this then it would be a
simple matter to set up another signal which could cause the same thing to
happen or simply pull the plug on the UPS. I suspect software exists to do
this already.

.....Brian Kaye
.....UNB