Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA subpoenas have arrived . . .

From: Eoghan Casey <eco () CORPUS-DELICTI COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:25:34 -0400

Tracy,

I am wondering about the liability associated with failing to preserve logs that are known to contain related evidence.
For instance, suppose that
NetFlow logs are collected routinely for all Internet traffic but are also routinely deleted after a certain period. In
your opinion, does an IT
department have a legal responsibility to prevent those NetFlow logs from being deleted when one of these subpoenas is
received even if the subpoena
does not include a preservation request?

My initial sense - if nobody asks for those NetFlow logs to be preserved, the IT department is not required to take the
initiative. However, I am
wondering if there are negligence/due diligence issues.

Eoghan Casey

Tracy Mitrano wrote:

Dick,

I cannot answer those questions specific to incidents at other schools, but
I would like to share the draft compulsory legal papers policy we have in
process at Cornell (spurred on by Patriot Act) for proper funneling of such
documents to the appropriate offices.

May I also share a question that has come up in private correspondence:

         Question:  Should the IT department do any extra investigation
into the matter, for example the netflow traffic relevant to the subpoenas?

         Answer: My $.02: no.  I would not do any additional
investigations.  The institution does not owe that information to the
requester; if the alleged defendant wants it, he or she can subpoena the
information themselves.   Also, the more information provided, the more the
likelihood that it may cross over into an "educational record."  Wouldn't
that be an irony:  schools try to comply and then find themselves being
faced with a FERPA violation!

         Any further defenses/evidence will be conducted by the parties, in
court.  I would strive to keep our academic institutions as far out of the
process as possible, while still complying with the law.

I hope that helps folks.

Also, I have received calls from journalists looking for schools that have
had subpoenas.  I have provided no names of specific schools.  The most
recent is from Katie Dean at Wired.  If anyone would like to talk with her
about such experiences, her number is 415-276-8501.

Hope that helps!

Tracy