Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Automated Patching and Updates?

From: Ron Parker <rparker () BRAZOSPORT EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:35:36 -0500

In answer to your questions below:

1) We're using Microsoft's Software Update Service (SUS) to push patches
out to our XP desktops from our own update server. This is just a
glorified version of the Windows update service built into XP but it lets
us have some control over what gets pushed and when. We use a group policy
to force the patch installation and a reboot if necessary. Unfortunately,
a large part of our campus is still on Windows 98 so this doesn't help us
as much it could. We are accelerating our push to convert completely to
XP. This also doesn't work in our labs where we use Deep Freeze to revert
the machines back to their initial state when they reboot.

2) We aren't really looking at anything else at the moment.

3) The above solution works for XP and Windows 2000 but not Windows 98.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College
Voice: (979) 230-3480             FAX: (979) 230-3111