Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mysterious Email Problems

From: GREGORY SCHAFFER <schaffer () MTSU EDU>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 07:44:52 -0500

What "may" be happening is that the DNS software on the server
that is supposed to be answering the rdns queries is locking up
or crashing...in which case the .edu server would default to the
isp or some other DNS server listed as backup, now the other
DNS servers and ISP will not have the necessary intranet info's.

If the server is locking up or crashing that should be evident in that
server's logs.  But as Greg from PCC states, he can have a client send
a message and do an nslookupo at the same time *from the client* and
get the domain rejection.  I'd suggest having the test run again but
this time doing the nslookup from the sender(s) mail server.  The
recent flood of SoBig.F was enough to cause mail performance problems
for us, and I suspect it could impact the mail server's ability to do
reverse lookups.

Also what can happen if the DNS server is loaded too heavily
is that it will queue it's queries and then the remote mail server
will possibly have passed it's allotted "response" period or ttl
(time to live) for a reply to its rdns request.

This confused me at first because of the use of "ttl".  A DNS ttl tells
how long to cache the dns entry.  Presumably those trying to mail PCC
and experiencing problems have clients and mail server pointing to the
same DNS server at "anywhere.univ.edu", so since PCC has already run
simultaneois mail send and dns lookups on the MX record, the dns ttl
issue isn't a factor.

Now, perhaps the MAIL server is too overloaded and can't query
anywhere.univ.edu's DNS server. Again, the proper test is to send a
message and do a lookup from the mail server at anywhere.univ.edu.

Both of those and many other issues have been tended to in
our commercial DNS server software.  One site license will
serve for all units on a campus (inclusive of server and clients).
(configurations compatible with basic bind syntax)

Been using BIND for over ten years, never have had a performance or
security problem.  I *do* believe it is important in your DNS structure
to use differnet OS's and packages though for your primary and
secondaries.  But while Windows DNS is easier to configure, I would not
suggest using it as your primary.  And while I believe in good old
capitalism, why buy a DNS product when BIND as open source works so
well??!!

Greg

http://ntcanuck.com/tq/  Tips & Tweaks
http://ntcanuck.com/net/board/index.php

---------------------------
Best regards,
R Vaughn
Professor
Information Systems
off :(254) 710 4756
fax :(254) 710 1091
dept:(254) 710 2258
mailto:Randy_Vaughn () Baylor edu

Wow, I thought we were alone.  We have some cases where the
mail doesn't deliver from some locations, and in some cases
it comes days late.  We've tried working this out with our
vendor and the organizations involved.

Technically we believe the problem is as follows:  The MX
record of the destination domain is not present in the
default DNS query, therefore, our mail server does not see a
legitimate destination mail system and causes the failure
reported.  In some cases the primary entry isn't processed
because it is not "valid" but several days later a secondary
entry will work.  We've been exploring the following items:
(1)  When we moved from BIND to Windows DNS in December of
2002, did the "query mechanism" change?  (2)  Are the
differences between the registration records for the sites
that work and the sites that don't work significant to the
problem we are experiencing - but that doesn't pan out.  We
note here that several of the places with email disruption
are medical facilities - hospitals in particular.  Are they
doing something different?

Theresa Rowe