Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations On Cabinet Level InfoSec position

From: "Bruhn, Mark S." <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:35:52 -0500

In that case, anything you report to the CIO is subserviant.  :-)

1)  A very good CIO is what is required to make this work.  A CIO that
doesn't have broad experiences and can't use good judgement about
setting priorities, assigning resources, and resolving conflicts isn't a
good CIO.
2)  A good Security Officer gets involved in physical security of IT
resources as well (we do, heavily, and are expected to do so by our good
CIO :) and interacts often with physical facilities staff as well as
police.

M.

--
Mark S. Bruhn, CISSP

Chief IT Security and Policy Officer
Interim Director, Research and Educational Networking Information
Sharing and Analysis Center (ren-isac () iu edu)

Office of the Vice President for Information Technology and CIO
Indiana University
812-855-0326

Incidents involving IU IT resources: it-incident () iu edu
Complaints/kudos about OVPIT/UITS services: itombuds () iu edu