Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Internet Content Management recommendations?

From: Ron Parker <rparker () BRAZOSPORT EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:20:07 -0500

I used Elron WI two years ago and found that it was more trouble than it
was worth. To my knowledge, it has no integration with OPSEC applications
like Checkpoint. We tried N2H2 last year with mixed results. It didn't get
along with Checkpoint very well for some reason. We had a lot of trouble
with it blocking things that it shouldn't and breaking web applications.

We're trying Websense with our Checkpoint right now and it is working
well. It was highly recommended by our Checkpoint consultant who does a
lot of this kind of work. I know that at least one very large global
company in our area with 50,000+ employees worldwide also uses it with
Checkpoint. Websense has good reporting and a lot of granularity in
controlling things. It also seems to have pretty good integration with
Active Directory so you can easily control usage based on Windows logins.
I think it is priced competitively but it is more expensive than the other
products I've considered. This latest version of Checkpoint is great and
Websense seems to work very well with it so far. Checkpoint is showing
1800 active connections right now with most of those being HTTP that
Websense is tracking.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College
Voice: (979) 230-3480             FAX: (979) 230-3111