Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: UConn's Residential Network Beat the Worms

From: "Jefferson, Ronnie V." <RVJefferson () ST-AUG EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:59:56 -0400

Phil....thanks for the info!

Ronnie Jefferson
VP for Information Technology/CIO
Saint Augustine's College
Center for Information Technology
1315 Oakwood Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27610
(919) 516-4379 (V)
(919) 516-4382 (F)
rvjefferson () st-aug edu
www.st-aug.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Rodrigues [mailto:Phil.Rodrigues () UCONN EDU]
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 7:06 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: [SECURITY] UConn's Residential Network Beat the Worms

Hi all,

From August 21-24, 2003 we had 11,500 students return to the residence
halls.  9,100 students registered their computers through NetReg and
successfully connected to the campus network and the Internet, mostly on
Saturday and Sunday.  We automatically scanned and identified 2,500 (27%)
of those computers as vulnerable and redirected them to a page where they
downloaded and installed the patch.  That is 2,500 computers that were
patched without staff intervention, and that were not infected with the
worm, and that did not generate a support phone-call or visit.

We have documented all the steps we took and linked to all of the code we
used.  If your student population has not yet returned to campus, and you
were already using NetReg to register them, you should be able to
implement all of these steps we took:

http://www.security.uconn.edu/uconn_response.html

We are very interested in making this page useful to as many institutions
as possible.  If you have a specific suggestion or criticism please direct
it to me or security () uconn edu.

Good luck!

Phil

Philip A. Rodrigues