Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

FW: IU's VPN deployment

From: "Bruhn, Mark S." <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:39:54 -0500

 -----Original Message-----
From:         Zeller, Tom S
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 6:02 PM
To:   Bruhn, Mark S.
Subject:      IU's VPN deployment

Here is an overview of Indiana University> '> s VPN implementation:

For each of our two major campuses (~40,000 and 28,000 students) we have a Cisco 3030 that can handle 1500
simultaneous PPTP connections and 45 mb/sec.

We use PPTP because it mostly avoids the client distribution and update issues.  Only Mac OS 9 clients need be
purchased.  We bought 100 copies to get them at ½ price.

PPTP is arguable not quite as secure as IPSEC, but using MS-Chap v2 is arguable strong enough for general use.  See
the detailed cryptanalysis of PPTP at www.counterpane.com <http://www.counterpane.com>.

We use the same VPN server for remote connections and to protect our wireless network.  All wireless access points on
a campus (about 400 and 200 APs) are on a single VLAN, eliminating the mobility/multiple subnet problem.  When the
broadcast traffic become too high for a single VLAN we plan to split the VLAN into two geographically.  Only DNS,
DHCP, and PPTP (port 1723 and GRE) traffic is allowed through the routers, the later only to our VPN servers.  This
forces wireless users to create a VPN connection, providing authentication, logging, and encryption.  No known (to
us) Unix RADIUS servers provide an MPPE key so we use Microsoft> '> s IAS server for this function.

Last year usage peaked daily at about 450 users total and less than 30 mb/sec and averaged about half that.  The
traffic was evenly split between remote and wireless use.  We expect that to at least double this year with more
wireless deployed, more wireless-enabled laptops arriving, and the new requirement to use VPN for remote Outlook
sessions (thanks to ms-blaster).  We are buying another 3030 and will load balance using DNS rotoring.

We also use the VPN server to provide specific blocks of IP addresses to specific groups of accounts as a way to lock
down access to certain hosts and subnets.

Today we began using the filtering feature of the 3030 to block all port 135 traffic except to our Exchange and ADS
servers.  At the moment (8/21) about 4% of the traffic is being blocked.

We also plan to deploy a set of 3030s for the School of Medicine to solve a problem with faculty that work in partner
hospital locations.  All partners have agreed to allow traffic from these servers through their firewall.  This
allows access to partner resources from on-campus and campus resources from partner locations and provides a more
secure connection between the partners.  This setup is a bit more complicated than that as each partner only wanted
to allow traffic from users it authorized.  We have developed a scheme that will accomplish that.

For more information contact:

Tom Zeller
Indiana University
812-855-6214
zeller () Indiana edu <mailto:zeller () Indiana edu>